Monday 29 December 2014

Get glowing skin, naturally!



I love to incorporate food ingredients from my kitchen into my skincare routine. I have found that a minimal, but diligent routine suits my skin the best. Here are the most effective food products that work wonders for my skin.

Oats
*May not be suitable for gluten-intolerant people! Give this a try with certified gluten-free oats.

Why: This is my go-to face cleanser when my skin is irritated, breaking out, dehydrated – you name it. It always improves the texture and softness of my skin, and cleans really effectively. Pair with a cleansing balm or oil first if you need to remove makeup.

How: Take a small handful of oats, let cool/lukewarm water wash over them until they get mushy. Gently massage the oats into your face and neck. This can be a messy process, so you may want to plug the sink so that all your oats don’t disappear down the drain! Bonus: rinse your face with the oaty water, which is filled with goodness.

Lemon Juice/Apple Cider Vinegar

Why: I swear by this simple, yet effective chemical exfoliant. The acid gently removes old or dry skin, resulting in a baby soft face. I only use this once a week to keep my skin perky.

How: Squeeze a tablespoon of lemon juice or acv into the palm of your hand, and then massage it into your skin for up to 5 minutes. This can sting in places, especially if you have any active acne or breakouts. My skin also goes pinky/red, which is completely normal! If you have sensitive skin, dilute half-half with water. Avoid contact with eyes!

Egg White, Turmeric

Why:
How:

Sea Salt
Why: This is my best spot-busting treatment. I use this any time I get a huge spot, or in an emergency if I need to clear a breakout fast! Works every time.

How: Dilute half teaspoon of sea salt in half a mug of boiling water, add some cold water or wait to cool. Using a cotton bud, saturate with the saline solution and hold to the spot.
Allow the heat of the water and the salt to draw out the dirt from the pore. Be patient and don’t try to squeeze it!
Depending on the size of the breakout, this may take several cotton buds (you could also use a cotton round).
When you have drawn out all that nasty stuff, rinse with cool/cold water to close the pore. You can also apply tea tree oil afterwards to keep the area clean (I dilute it in almond oil first).

Green Tea
Why: It’s iced tea for your face! Totally refreshing and packed with nutrients, your skin will love this treat. Green tea is wonderful if you have been indulging in too many high sugar or salt foods, or haven’t been sleeping well. The caffeine and antioxidants lift and brighten the skin, and the cool soothes and de-puffs. Perfect morning skin-fix!

How: Boil a strong cup of green tea, either with loose leaf or several tea bags. Allow to cool, then pour into ice cube mould. Store in freezer to use when necessary. Apply to face wrapped in muslin/cotton cloth to puffy areas, especially around the eyes.

Alternatively, allow the tea to cool and store in a spray mister bottle in the fridge to use as a toner or skin refresher.

How do you pamper your skin naturally? Leave your top tips in the comments!  

No comments:

Post a Comment